Christian charity

I spent some time while Jenny and I were in Paris (only when I was exhausted and needed to sit down a while!) looking over the answers to my question What do Christians make of the sudden violent death of 100,000 mostly very poor people – a third of them children – and the destruction of the lives of a million more?
As I said, there were some interesting answers, but I became increasingly repelled when I re-read the comments of the handful of fundamentalists who sent a reply. It seems they really believe that this disaster – and every other tragedy in the history of mankind – happened because Adam “rejected” God and others have done so since. How anyone can be so crass as to think that this ridiculous rubbish constitutes an acceptable explanation is beyond me. One of them did at least have the grace to apologise for having been so obsessed with Jesus that she had given no thought to the victims.
Any comment would be inadequate. For myself I am content to wait for an explanation like the little man in The Guardian's cartoon:

…but I am writing a paper about the results of my little amateur poll and will present it at the March seminar.

An Englishwoman commented on my last post by pointing out politely that it would have been more helpful to try to help the victims, and to find out how such disasters might be avoided in the future, rather than spending time on pondering academic questions like What do Christians make of it all?
She is absolutely right, of course, but as I am not a seismologist or a communications expert I can't give any help with planning for the future and, like most people, the only way I can help the victims is by writing a cheque. But having done that I have to get on with my day job, which is lecturing in philosophy and comparative religion: hence the justification for my enquiry. I accept, PerfectlyVocal, that my little poll and, indeed, what I do for a living, probably doesn't help anybody much, but I'm a bit old now to retrain as a doctor or an aid worker and I might as well spend my time on relatively useless activities, so don't be too hard on me.

2 comments:

Tony said...

No no, PerfectlyVocal, I didn't think for a moment that you were implying that I don't do very much; you may not be an expert on comparative religion - or even able to spell it - but I am sure you are well aware that the life of a lecturer is a constant stressful grind, ill-paid and unrespected. What you were saying was that asking piffling questions does not contribute much to the sum total of human happiness, and I have already acknowledged that this is fair comment.
It is I who should feel flattered; I expect my students to suck up to me in the hope of getting good grades, but a considered response from a busy professional is a rare compliment.
Every good wish
G McG

Anonymous said...

So your students suck up to you, do they? Here's one that doesn't.
And here's a question: Have your lectures been tested for GM contamination?
Love anyway
Sue J